The South African government froze the South African assets of the former Information Secretary, Dr. Eschel Rhoodie, and was reported to have seized secret funds deposited in private accounts outside the country, following the Information Scandal and Erasmus Commission's Report of 1978.
Eschel Rhoodie’s assets frozen
Saturday, 13 January 1979
This Day In History dates for TODAY
- 1838 Gert Maritz (41), Voortrekker leader, dies.
- 1867 Anna Tempo is born
- 1913 Women protest against passes in the Free State
- 1941 Navanethem (Navi) Pillay is born
- 1948 Paul Michael Sibisi, SA artist and teacher involved in setting up cultural art workshops in Natal, is born.
- 1970 South African Political activist, James Sofasonke Mpanza dies
- 1979 Worldwide speculation begins that a bright flash detected over the southern Indian Ocean was a South African nuclear test
more dates like these...