Fietas, a western suburb of Johannesburg, was officially re-named Pageview in honour of Mr. J.J. Page, the Mayor of Johannesburg at the time. Up until this point, the area was popularly known as Fietas. It was one of the oldest communities in Johannesburg, and one of the first 'locations' (multi-racial areas) established under the government of Paul Kruger in 1893.
Fietas was an integrated community, not unlike District Six and Sophiatown, and was also destroyed by forced removals - as a result of the Group Areas Act. The majority of the inhabitants moved to Lenasia and Soweto between 1956 and 1977, and the area was declared 'White". This led to fierce resistance that continued into the 1980s.
Donate and Make African History Matter
South African History Online is a non profit organisation. We depend on public support to build our website into the most comprehensive educational resource and encyclopaedia on African history.
Your support will help us to build and maintain partnerships with educational institutions in order to strengthen teaching, research and free access to our content.