- CAPS Grade 5: Intermediate Phase History - Term 1
- Finding out about hunter-gatherers and herders
- Glossary: Hunter-gatherers and herders in Southern Africa
- Khoikhoi herder society in the Later Stone Age
- References and links: Hunter-gatherers and herders in Southern Africa
- San hunter-gatherer society in the Later Stone Age
This topic describes the way of life of the hunter-gatherers: the San people. We trace their history through various sources such as books, stories, objects, rock painting and ethnography. The lesson describes the way of life of the hunter-gatherers and herders, the earliest inhabitants of southern Africa, and how we find out about them.
The importance of San rock art is emphasized in this lesson with the focus on where, when, how and why it was created, its interpretation and the coat of arms as well as the Linton panel art. We also look at the interaction between the San and the Khoikhoi in terms of their shared landscape.
The Broken String - This book by Emilia Potenza has been reformatted for the SAHO site and the classroom.