Dutch Reformed Church, Wellington East

Dutch Reformed Church Wellington East Image source

The foundation stone of this church was laid way back in 1838. The first section of the building which comprised of the nave only was taken into use in 1840. The vestry was added two years later and two wings were added to the building in 1861. The impressive church tower was completed in 1895. In 1923 a statue of Andrew Murray was erected at the front of the church in his honour. Ds Murray moved to various congregations over the years and finally ended up in the Wellington church where he continued his work until his death in 1917. He was buried in the church gardens.
Google map: 

Last updated : 10-Jul-2017

This article was produced for South African History Online on 10-Jul-2017