Groote Schuur High School

Groote Schhuur High School Image source

English-medium school Groote Schuur High School was founded in 1959 as a co-educational Afrikaans High School in the Vredenhof residence, presently the Frank Joubert Art and 
Design Centre in the leafy suburb of Newlands. The school started with 37 pupils. Over the years, pupil numbers have increased and after the addition of six extra classrooms in 
2011, the numbers have grown to 850 learners.  The present school building in Palmyra Road, Newlands was inaugurated in June 1964. In 1978 Nassau High School amalgamated with 
Groote Schuur.  The Groote Schuur High School crest incorporates the lion of Nassau and the gable of Groote Schuur. The history of the school shows a spirit of enterprise, realism 
and adaptability. 1n 1991 it became the first public Afrikaans high school in South Africa with a broad admissions policy. Dual medium instruction was phased in from 1994. During 
this year, a boarding establishment was also built for boys and girls, now named Monorgan House. Since 2011 all tuition at Groote Schuur High School is in English only. All of the 
school’s classrooms are equipped with state-of-the- art interactive whiteboards. There are two fully equipped computer laboratories, four science and life science laboratories, an 
800 –seater hall and an auditorium (the Nassau Centre) with arguably the best acoustics on the Peninsula.  The school also has a library. The school has two sports fields: 
Inversnaid Sports Field and Vredenhof Sports Field; tennis courts, netball courts, a waterpolo pool and a club house at Vredenhof Field. The school also has a well-equipped tuck 
shop.
 
Google map: 

Last updated : 14-Nov-2017

This article was produced for South African History Online on 14-Nov-2017