Port Elizabeth City Hall

Port Elizabeth City Hall Image source

The Port Elizabeth City Hall, which is located in Market Square, was built between 1858 and 1862. The attractive clock tower was only added in 1883. The City Hall serves as a Council Chamber as well as a Concert Hall, a Lecture Hall and Offices for City Council Employees.
 
The City Hall was proclaimed a National Monument in 1973. It burnt down in 1977 and was rebuilt. Also in the Square, is a replica of the Diaz Cross, donated by the Portuguese Government to commemorate the arrival of Bartholomew Diaz in Algoa Bay in 1488.

References:
Google map: 

Last updated : 29-Oct-2018

This article was produced by South African History Online on 29-Oct-2018

Support South African History Online

Donate and Make African History Matter

South African History Online is a non profit organisation. We depend on public support to build our website into the most comprehensive educational resource and encyclopaedia on African history.

Your support will help us to build and maintain partnerships with educational institutions in order to strengthen teaching, research and free access to our content.



Donate.