Tokai Manor House, Tokai Road, Tokai.

The farm was originally granted to Johan Rauch in 1792, Within two months, had sold it on to Andries Teubes, who probably built its manor in 1795-96 according to a design by Thibault. The gable is generally considered to be one of the earliest usages in the Cape of a rectangular pediment. The cost of building this house must have ruined Teubes, for he declared bankruptcy in 1799, and after a series of owners, the property was purchased by Petrus Eksteen in 1802. In 1883 the farm with its buildings was acquired by the colonial government who, for a time, used it as a reformatory. It underwent extensive restoration in the 1960s, and was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 8 September 1961.

Feature Parent: 

Last updated : 27-Apr-2018

This article was produced for South African History Online on 14-Jul-2011