Places

Leave blank for all. Otherwise, the first selected term will be the default instead of "Any".
FEATURED ARTICLE

Barberton

1
Historical Background Barberton, the Daisy town, was named after Henry Barber in 1884, 24 July by the Gold Commissioner David Walson, after Barber and his cousin Fred discovered gold in the area. The mining of gold in South Africa began in Barberton, where Tom McLachlan found the first traces of alluvial gold in 1874. Since then, gold fields flourished as fortune seekers flocked to the area in search of gold. Today, the town has four gold mines that are more than 100 years and still in.. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Bloemfontein

1
Bloemfontein is the capital of the Free State Province, previously known as the Orange Free State. The city is known as the 'City of Roses', or Manguang, 'the place of cheetahs' and the landscape is predominantly dry grassland. Bloemfontein is currently the judicial capital of South Africa, and the seat of the Supreme Court of Appeal. .. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Cape Town

1
Also known as 'The Mother City', Cape Town is the largest city in the Western Cape Province, and was founded as a resupply stop for the Dutch East India Company. Today, Cape Town is the legislative capital of South Africa, and a popular tourist destination known for its beaches, vineyards and majestic landscapes and limitless ocean. .. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Cato Manor

History of Cato Manor.. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Crossroads Township

Crossroads Township is situated in Cape Town in the Wynberg district, some 12 km east of Athlone in the Western Cape Province... read more
This sandstone structure dates from 1902 when it was designed by Herbert Baker for De Beer Cold Storage Syndicate, a... read more
The building is probably the oldest surviving dwelling in Green Point. The land, which included the whole of Green... read more
The land was originally part of the van Breda estate in Oranjezicht, and was purchased by the Town Council of Cape... read more
1
Delmas Delmas, Gauteng, is a small town about halfway between Johannesburg and Witbank. Frank... read more
The dwelling is an excellent example of late Victorian architecture and was erected in 1893-94 by WN Cook, an affluent... read more
The site of the Battle of Diamond Hill, which took place on the 11th and 12th June 1900, in which 14000 British... read more
This bird reserve was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 11 April 1980.
The Paul Kruger Church was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 7 September 1979.
This building was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 27 September 1968.
This church was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 29 August 1980.
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 9 March 1979.
This church was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 14 March 1980.
This double-storeyed structure was erected in 1815 by building contractor, Herman Schutte, and its verandah was added... read more
The site has since been renamed Voortrekkerhoogte. Die Vesting is one of the largest remaining timber-framed... read more
Johann Georg Rathfelder was born in Stuttgart in 1811 and emigrated to the Cape in 1835. Following his marriage in the... read more
The name, Dimbaza, an African town in the former Ciskei, about 11km north-west of King William’s Town (on the... read more
Health resort and region in the Worcester district noted for its medicinal springs, fruit and grapes. The name is... read more
The District Six foundation was established in 1989, and in 1994, the District Six Museum came into being. This museum... read more
The division of Ceres was originally part of the district of Tulbagh, whose drostdy was transferred to Worcester in... read more
On 1 February 1808 the territory north of the Great Berg river was annexed to the new district of Tulbagh, and... read more
Article not yet created. Please contribute by emailing content@sahistory.org.za.
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 3 November 1978.
This double-storey building was erected shortly after the turn of the 20th century and has a number of fine neo-... read more
Construction of this dwelling dates from the late 19th century and it is a good example of Victorian architecture. It... read more
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 6 September 1985.
Port Elizabeth owes its origin and development to the arrival of British settlers in 1820. Sir Rufane Donkin was the... read more
This group of double-storey semi-detached houses with prominent Victorian and Georgian features was erected shortly... read more
1
Doornkop/Doornsluiten farm was located in Utrecht, a town in Natal (now KwaZulu-Natal). To the west lay Annandale farm... read more
The two-storey building with cast-iron balcony dates from the late 19th century and houses a number of commercial... read more

Pages