Places

Leave blank for all. Otherwise, the first selected term will be the default instead of "Any".
FEATURED ARTICLE

Barberton

1
Historical Background Barberton, the Daisy town, was named after Henry Barber in 1884, 24 July by the Gold Commissioner David Walson, after Barber and his cousin Fred discovered gold in the area. The mining of gold in South Africa began in Barberton, where Tom McLachlan found the first traces of alluvial gold in 1874. Since then, gold fields flourished as fortune seekers flocked to the area in search of gold. Today, the town has four gold mines that are more than 100 years and still in.. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Bloemfontein

1
Bloemfontein is the capital of the Free State Province, previously known as the Orange Free State. The city is known as the 'City of Roses', or Manguang, 'the place of cheetahs' and the landscape is predominantly dry grassland. Bloemfontein is currently the judicial capital of South Africa, and the seat of the Supreme Court of Appeal. .. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Cape Town

1
Also known as 'The Mother City', Cape Town is the largest city in the Western Cape Province, and was founded as a resupply stop for the Dutch East India Company. Today, Cape Town is the legislative capital of South Africa, and a popular tourist destination known for its beaches, vineyards and majestic landscapes and limitless ocean. .. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Cato Manor

History of Cato Manor.. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Crossroads Township

Crossroads Township is situated in Cape Town in the Wynberg district, some 12 km east of Athlone in the Western Cape Province... read more
This garden was laid out in 1652 to provide fresh fruit and vegetables to passing ships as required of Van Riebeeck in... read more
The need for a reliable harbour to service the frontier region of the Eastern Cape began to surface during the 1830s,... read more
Early Dutch settlers soon realised that Hout Bay could serve as an alternative anchorage when prevailing winds made... read more
1
Before 1993, the Eastern Cape was part of the Cape Province. Today it includes the old homelands of Ciskei and Transkei... read more
Ebenezer was established in 1831 as a station of the Rhenish Missionary Society. The 1875 census indicated that the... read more
This house was erected shortly after the turn of the 20th century, and was declared a National Monument under old NMC... read more
Eerste River was a station of the Cape Town, Wellington and Docks Railway Co Ltd, and was probably established as a... read more
This historic building was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 17 December 1976.
These monuments mark the first gold power plant and the first gold crushing site in the Polokwane area. Both these... read more
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 9 May 1969.
Eland's Kloof was a mission station of the Dutch Reformed Church of South Africa, and was probably founded in about... read more
Declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 25 August 1978.
Originally called Koffee Kraal, the village of Elgin is a lush land circled with mountains, in the Overberg region.... read more
Coloured settlement in the Strand-veld of Bredasdorp, 30 miles (48 km) north-west of Cape Agulhas and 20 miles (32... read more
This hostel was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 8 August 1975.
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 8 August 1975.
The village of Slang River was founded early in 1885, and in April 1894 its name was changed to Elliot, after Sir Henry... read more
The village of Elliotdale was named after Sir Henry Elliot, a prominent Colonial administrator and Chief Magistrate of... read more
Click on image to enlarge Ellis Park and rugby are synonymous. The only time rugby matches were not played at the... read more
The village of Elsie's River, also known as Elsie's Kraal River, was probably named in honour of one Elsje van... read more
Elukhanyweni, a Xhosa word meaning “the place of light”, is a place that lies on a hillside in the... read more
Emfundisweni, or more correctly Mfundisweni, was founded in 1862 as a joint project of missionaries from the Wesleyan... read more
Chumie was established in 1820 as a station of the Glasgow Missionary Society. The village which grew up about it was... read more
The village of Emjanyana was probably established in the mid-1970s. In 1894 the Society for the Propagation of the... read more
The dwelling was designed by Johannesburg architects Leck & Emley, and was completed in 1906 as the home for HC... read more
On 1 November 1859, a day known in the Christian calender as All Saints Day, Chief Fubu of the amaQwathi met with... read more
The village of Enon was established in 1815 as a station of the Moravian Missionary Society on land granted by the Cape... read more
Equatorial Guinea is a West African nation bordering the Bight of Biafra, between Cameroon and Gabon.The earliest... read more
The Erica School for Girls in Port Elizabeth was begun in 1884 by Miss Mary Anne van Wyk, who initially gave lessons... read more

Pages