Places

Leave blank for all. Otherwise, the first selected term will be the default instead of "Any".
FEATURED ARTICLE

Barberton

1
Historical Background Barberton, the Daisy town, was named after Henry Barber in 1884, 24 July by the Gold Commissioner David Walson, after Barber and his cousin Fred discovered gold in the area. The mining of gold in South Africa began in Barberton, where Tom McLachlan found the first traces of alluvial gold in 1874. Since then, gold fields flourished as fortune seekers flocked to the area in search of gold. Today, the town has four gold mines that are more than 100 years and still in.. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Bloemfontein

1
Bloemfontein is the capital of the Free State Province, previously known as the Orange Free State. The city is known as the 'City of Roses', or Manguang, 'the place of cheetahs' and the landscape is predominantly dry grassland. Bloemfontein is currently the judicial capital of South Africa, and the seat of the Supreme Court of Appeal. .. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Cape Town

1
Also known as 'The Mother City', Cape Town is the largest city in the Western Cape Province, and was founded as a resupply stop for the Dutch East India Company. Today, Cape Town is the legislative capital of South Africa, and a popular tourist destination known for its beaches, vineyards and majestic landscapes and limitless ocean. .. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Cato Manor

History of Cato Manor.. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Crossroads Township

Crossroads Township is situated in Cape Town in the Wynberg district, some 12 km east of Athlone in the Western Cape Province... read more
The bay was named as Dutch sailors often confused it with Table Bay, which is situated further to the North.
The village of Eerste Rivier was the site of the tomb of Sheik Yussuf of Bantam, a man of great piety and culture... read more
The original plans for this building were prepared by Sir Wolfe-Barry of London, and its main features were... read more
The Federated Union of Black Artists Arts Centre was established in 1978 by Benjy Francis, Sipho Sepamla and other... read more
This river rises in the Drakensberg Range in Lesotho and flows south-west through the Orange Free State districts of... read more
This was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 17 October 1975.
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 17 October 1975.
Click on image to enlarge The vacant Lot with fig tree was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on... read more
The First Aircraft Engine Museum was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 9 May 1969.
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 9 May 1969.
Click on image to enlarge This church was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 20 May 1988.
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 29 June 1938.
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 29 June 1938.
Click on image to enlarge The oldest remaining building in Bloemfontein, the First Raadsaal is part of the National... read more
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 17 December 1976.
In 1877 Zachariah Bowles and his partner, a Mr Owen, established a trading store on the site of present-day... read more
Initially the division of Fort Beaufort fell under the district of Albany, and was proclaimed a separate division on 8... read more
Fort Cox was a "post of occupation" established by the British military in 1835 and was named in honour of Major... read more
Fort Cunynghame was a telegraph office which, together with Komgha and a number of other establishments in the... read more
This fort was built by the firm Schneider & Co, which was connected to the French firm, Le Creusot. Military... read more
In August 1799 a blockhouse was built near the crossing of the Baakens River to safeguard its water supply and to keep... read more
Fort Klapperkop. Source: www.pretoria.world-guides.com Fort Klapperkop was the third fort erected by the Krupp firm,... read more
The fort was also built by the German firm Krupp, was completed on 6 April 1897 and cost £47 500. Christiaan... read more
Fort Wiltshire was erected by the British military during the frontier war of 1818-19, and was named in honour of Lt-... read more
Completed on 4 September 1897 by the Krupps firm, Von Dewitz and Weiner, the fort cost £49 000 and had the same... read more
The building was erected in 1860 near the site where the Dutch East India Company battery Kyk-in-de-pot originally... read more
There were four forts in Pretoria, all built before the outbreak of the South African War. Initially eight forts were... read more
The station at Fourteen Streams is said to derive its name from the fact that the KiGariep (Vaal) divides at this... read more
Frankfort was one of the military villages established in British Kaffraria in 1857 by men of the British-German... read more
The division of Fraserburg was originally part of the district of Worcester,and was proclaimed a separate division on... read more

Pages