Places

FEATURED ARTICLE

Barberton

1
Historical Background Barberton, the Daisy town, was named after Henry Barber in 1884, 24 July by the Gold Commissioner David Walson, after Barber and his cousin Fred discovered gold in the area. The mining of gold in South Africa began in Barberton, where Tom McLachlan found the first traces of alluvial gold in 1874. Since then, gold fields flourished as fortune seekers flocked to the area in search of gold. Today, the town has four gold mines that are more than 100 years and still in.. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Bloemfontein

1
Bloemfontein is the capital of the Free State Province, previously known as the Orange Free State. The city is known as the 'City of Roses', or Manguang, 'the place of cheetahs' and the landscape is predominantly dry grassland. Bloemfontein is currently the judicial capital of South Africa, and the seat of the Supreme Court of Appeal. .. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Cape Town

1
Also known as 'The Mother City', Cape Town is the largest city in the Western Cape Province, and was founded as a resupply stop for the Dutch East India Company. Today, Cape Town is the legislative capital of South Africa, and a popular tourist destination known for its beaches, vineyards and majestic landscapes and limitless ocean. .. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Cato Manor

History of Cato Manor.. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Crossroads Township

Crossroads Township is situated in Cape Town in the Wynberg district, some 12 km east of Athlone in the Western Cape Province... read more
Click on image to enlarge The building, designed in a classical-revivalist style, is an important component of Smith... read more
On 17 August 1960, Gabon, a country in west central Africa, gained independence from France. It shares common borders... read more
In 1961, the Swiss Fernand Francis Haenggi (b. 1934, Dijon, France) and his mother Mrs F.M.L. Haenggi founded Gallery... read more
Links to explore this further:For a broad overview of African independence go to our site's coverage of African... read more
The Gamtoos river probably derived its name from a Khoikhoi clan whose name was given by early Dutch settlers as "... read more
M.K Gandi spent about 20 years in South Africa, predominantly in the Natal area. His experiences in South Africa are... read more
Declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 18 February 1977.
1
Gannahoek Farm is situated in the Colenso district in KwaZulu-Natal Province.  In 1894, the McFie family took... read more
Progressive fishing town on the eastern side of Walker Bay, some 48 km by road south-east of Hermanus in the... read more
Gardens is a residential suburb of Cape Town, and was probably so named because it incorporated part of Van Riebeeck's... read more
Town in the magisterial district and division of Namaqualand, on the national road to South-West Africa, 470 km north... read more
1
Gauteng means 'Place of Gold' in the Sotho languages. It is the smallest province in South Africa, but also the... read more
Gazankulu was the homeland of the Shangaan and Tsonga people in South Africa. It was divided over two territories, west... read more
The gazebo was built in 1924, to commemorate Doel Zeederburg, who established the first passenger coach service between... read more
The village of Geluk was occupied by Boer forces in October 1899.
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 31 October 1969.
The village of Baviaanskloof was founded by Georg Schmidt in 1737 as a station of the Moravian Missionary Society. It... read more
The district of Genesa, more correctly spelt Ganyesa, was originally settled by indigenous baTswana, and the... read more
This glaciated pavement shows striae on Table Mountain sandstone at the base of the Dwyka tillite of the Karoo system... read more
Principal town of the magisterial district and division of George, on the Garden Route 439 km from Cape Town, 1252 km... read more
The district of George was originally part of the district of Swellendam, and was proclaimed a separate district on 23... read more
George Harrison and the history of Johannesburg are closely bound together: it was he who first found gold in 1886, a... read more
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 15 July 1977.
The original portions of this house reputedly served as an outbuilding of the Von Breda homestead, on the farm... read more
The five properties involved are part of a larger complex of Georgian terrace houses built in 1886 by William James... read more
The Gold Coast was the first British colony in Africa to become independent. After independence, its name changed to... read more
The building dates back to the early 19th century and, in its time, has undergone a number of changes in its function,... read more
1
The village of Glen Grey was named in honour of Sir George Grey, Governor of the Cape 1854-61. On 17 July 1902 a fire... read more
The frontier war of 1850-53 was precipitated when the amaNgqika, faced with the increased pressure of European... read more
This impressive Victorian double-storeyed house was designed by the architect AW Ackerman, and built by one Mannix for... read more

Pages