Places

Leave blank for all. Otherwise, the first selected term will be the default instead of "Any".
FEATURED ARTICLE

Barberton

1
Historical Background Barberton, the Daisy town, was named after Henry Barber in 1884, 24 July by the Gold Commissioner David Walson, after Barber and his cousin Fred discovered gold in the area. The mining of gold in South Africa began in Barberton, where Tom McLachlan found the first traces of alluvial gold in 1874. Since then, gold fields flourished as fortune seekers flocked to the area in search of gold. Today, the town has four gold mines that are more than 100 years and still in.. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Bloemfontein

1
Bloemfontein is the capital of the Free State Province, previously known as the Orange Free State. The city is known as the 'City of Roses', or Manguang, 'the place of cheetahs' and the landscape is predominantly dry grassland. Bloemfontein is currently the judicial capital of South Africa, and the seat of the Supreme Court of Appeal. .. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Cape Town

1
Also known as 'The Mother City', Cape Town is the largest city in the Western Cape Province, and was founded as a resupply stop for the Dutch East India Company. Today, Cape Town is the legislative capital of South Africa, and a popular tourist destination known for its beaches, vineyards and majestic landscapes and limitless ocean. .. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Cato Manor

History of Cato Manor.. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Crossroads Township

Crossroads Township is situated in Cape Town in the Wynberg district, some 12 km east of Athlone in the Western Cape Province... read more
The village of Kalk Bay was probably established in the 17th century as a small community of lime-burners who mined the... read more
The Cape government established the settlement of Kamastone in the Queenstown area, in 1854. In 1874 the government... read more
KaNgwane was the homeland of the Swazi people living in South Africa. It was situated along the border with Swaziland,... read more
In contrast to other community art centres that were operating in South Africa during the height of Apartheid,... read more
This town house was erected on land, granted to Hermanus Smuts, in 1751 and once belonged to Johan Jacobus Graaf. It... read more
The railway line from Salt River reached Kenilworth on 19 December 1864.
Kenya is a country in East Africa with a population of 44 million people and the largest economy of the region. The... read more
Khayelitsha Township lies some 19km east of Wynberg and 25 km of south-east of Cape Town in the Western Cape. The name... read more
To read more about this pioneer town in the diamond-rich area of the Northern Cape, go to: http://www.bartleby.com/... read more
The school was established towards the end of 1902 as the Johannesburg High School for Boys, and for a few years was... read more
Following the first British occupation of the Cape in 1795, the existing Dutch line of defence, known as the French... read more
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 12 May 1989.
This botanical garden was founded in 1913, and comprises of five of the six natural biomes to be found in South Africa... read more
This engine was manufactured in England in 1879 by the firm of Kitson and Co, of Leeds, and was exported to South... read more
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 24 June 1938.
The house probably dates from the 18th century and is alleged to have been the home of Wolraad Woltemade who, in 1773,... read more
The story the Kliptown Open Air Museum tells of the thousands of people who contributed to the drafting of the Freedom... read more
This site is now part of the experimental farm of the University of Pretoria. On 17 March 1920 it was the first landing... read more
Kommetje was established in 1902 when a consortium of Cape Town businessmen purchased the farm Kommetje from its owner... read more
The land was granted at the turn of the 18th century by Governor Willem Adriaan van de Stel to a rich merchant, Reynier... read more
The estate of Kronendal was part of land granted to Willem Basson in 1713, although it was only developed as a farm... read more
Kroondal. Source: Unknown The famous German enclave 8km from Rustenburg was established in 1898. It features a church... read more
This was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 31 December 1981.
Situated at 60 Church Street, this was the home of President Paul Kruger. It was his personal property as the ZAR did... read more
The Kruger National Park is the largest game reserve in South Africa covering a total of 18,989 square km and extending... read more
1
In July 1825, King Shaka, son of Senzangakhona and Nandi, who was the king of the Zulus from 1816, established a royal... read more
Iron Age Shell middens containing early Iron Age pottery fragments have been found at Umhlanga Rocks, Ballito and... read more
The development of KwaMashu Township, in the KwaZulu-Natal province and located some 19km north of  Durban,... read more
KwaMuhle Museum depicts Durban as an African city searching for identity within a new political context. This  ... read more
KwaNdebele (or place of the Ndebele) was granted self-government in 1984 and was intended to be the new home for the... read more

Pages