Places

Leave blank for all. Otherwise, the first selected term will be the default instead of "Any".
FEATURED ARTICLE

Barberton

1
Historical Background Barberton, the Daisy town, was named after Henry Barber in 1884, 24 July by the Gold Commissioner David Walson, after Barber and his cousin Fred discovered gold in the area. The mining of gold in South Africa began in Barberton, where Tom McLachlan found the first traces of alluvial gold in 1874. Since then, gold fields flourished as fortune seekers flocked to the area in search of gold. Today, the town has four gold mines that are more than 100 years and still in.. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Bloemfontein

1
Bloemfontein is the capital of the Free State Province, previously known as the Orange Free State. The city is known as the 'City of Roses', or Manguang, 'the place of cheetahs' and the landscape is predominantly dry grassland. Bloemfontein is currently the judicial capital of South Africa, and the seat of the Supreme Court of Appeal. .. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Cape Town

1
Also known as 'The Mother City', Cape Town is the largest city in the Western Cape Province, and was founded as a resupply stop for the Dutch East India Company. Today, Cape Town is the legislative capital of South Africa, and a popular tourist destination known for its beaches, vineyards and majestic landscapes and limitless ocean. .. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Cato Manor

History of Cato Manor.. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Crossroads Township

Crossroads Township is situated in Cape Town in the Wynberg district, some 12 km east of Athlone in the Western Cape Province... read more
The Mac-mac falls is the second highest falls in the Mpumalanga tour route, its shimmering waters plunge to a depth of... read more
This is a seaside resort on False Bay, near the mouth of the Eerste River in the magisterial district of Wynberg,... read more
The town of Maclear in the Eastern Cape province forms the principal town of the Maclear district. It is situated to... read more
Mafikeng is the provincial capital of North West since 1994. It was previously a seat of government for the... read more
The building was erected in 1776 with Christoffel Brand as its first occupant. Admiral Lord Nelson is presumed to be... read more
The heritage centre provides visitors with the opportunity to experience the history of the Bafokeng. It lies 20km from... read more
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 1 April 1977.
The cornerstone of the building was laid on 19 December 1907 by Sir Hamilton Gould-Adams, and was officially opened on... read more
Construction on this complex, which includes seven buildings, was begun in 1904, and was completed in 1907. It is an... read more
1
The building was designed by the Department of Public Works and was completed in 1908 as the centre for the then... read more
1
This Victorian styled building was originally erected in 1885 as Durban's first town hall, which was designed... read more
The railway line from Cape Town reached Maitland on 13 February 1862. The 1891 census indicated that Maitland had a... read more
The settlement at Maitland Road was known variously as Maitland Road (Eleventh Milestone), Duminy's, and Eleventh... read more
The first people to settle in this country were people related to the San societies found in most parts of Southern... read more
The area, known as the Malay Quarter of Cape Town, nestles against the steep slopes of Signal Hill. It formerly... read more
The republic of Mali is one of Africa’s largest gold producers but at least half of the population lives on the... read more
The Mandela Museum in Soweto is housed in what was once the home of Nelson Mandela, the world's most famous political... read more
1
Manenberg Anthony Lemon argues that in the 1980s the state legally enforced residential segregation came under... read more
Built in 1926, the building can be found in Mangaung Township. It is known as the birth place of the African National... read more
Established in 1905, the temple is the oldest Hindu temple in Pretoria. The temple gets its name from Mariammen, the... read more
This is the oldest existing Hindu temple in the city and its imposing gopuram, erected in 1939, is believed to be the... read more
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 14 November 1975.
The Market Theatre was founded in 1976 in Johannesburg by Mannie Manim and Barney Simon. Now based in the center of the... read more
The circular tower was erected in 1796 on the orders of James Craig to improve the defence system of Simonstown. It... read more
This building was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 1 April 1977.
This dwelling was designed and built in about 1899 by A Westenberg and C van der Made, both engineers employed by the... read more
Melrose House. Source: www.pretoria.world-guides.com. Situated in Jacob Mare Street and named after Melrose Abbey in... read more
This stately Victorian mansion was used for the signing of the Treaty of Vereeniging on 31 May 1902 when the South... read more
This area was proclaimed a nature reserve in 1958 in order to preserve its indigenous flora and fauna, and was done at... read more
The Michaelis School of Fine Art, the namesake of the Fine Art Department of the University of Cape Town, is located on... read more

Pages