Places

FEATURED ARTICLE

Barberton

1
Historical Background Barberton, the Daisy town, was named after Henry Barber in 1884, 24 July by the Gold Commissioner David Walson, after Barber and his cousin Fred discovered gold in the area. The mining of gold in South Africa began in Barberton, where Tom McLachlan found the first traces of alluvial gold in 1874. Since then, gold fields flourished as fortune seekers flocked to the area in search of gold. Today, the town has four gold mines that are more than 100 years and still in.. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Bloemfontein

1
Bloemfontein is the capital of the Free State Province, previously known as the Orange Free State. The city is known as the 'City of Roses', or Manguang, 'the place of cheetahs' and the landscape is predominantly dry grassland. Bloemfontein is currently the judicial capital of South Africa, and the seat of the Supreme Court of Appeal. .. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Cape Town

1
Also known as 'The Mother City', Cape Town is the largest city in the Western Cape Province, and was founded as a resupply stop for the Dutch East India Company. Today, Cape Town is the legislative capital of South Africa, and a popular tourist destination known for its beaches, vineyards and majestic landscapes and limitless ocean. .. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Cato Manor

History of Cato Manor.. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Crossroads Township

Crossroads Township is situated in Cape Town in the Wynberg district, some 12 km east of Athlone in the Western Cape Province... read more
The original structure was a humble fisherman's cottage whose construction dates from the 1850s. It was declared a... read more
This building, formerly known as the Government Garden House, and later as the Commandant's House, probably dates from... read more
Observatory was a residential suburb of Cape Town, and derived its name from the Royal Observatory, which was... read more
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 22 August 1969.
This building was designed by Sir Herbert Baker and was completed in 1903 as the official residence of the Commander-... read more
Click on image to enlarge The Old Anglican church, originally built in 1871 and demolished in 1966. It was later... read more
The church was originally built in 1871 following the efforts of James Pilkington Richardson. It was rebuilt in 1967 on... read more
The building was designed by architect Stanley Hudson and was erected in 1911 as the Old Court House, and is the oldest... read more
The building was designed by Herbert Baker after the amalgamation of eight mining companies in April 1909, when Crown... read more
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 27 December 1985.
This fort was the site of a Boer siege in 1880, where 140 soldiers were held for 104 days. This fort was declared a... read more
The Old Fort and Durban's first cemetery are situated in Umgeni Road, and are now an integral part of the city centre.... read more
Following the invasion of the ZAR in January 1896 by a troop of cavalry led by Dr Leander Jameson, the Executive... read more
The original building was apparently already in existence in 1890 when it was converted to use as a gaol for the mining... read more
The Old Government Building is a fine piece of old Cape Dutch architecture, housing the National Afrikaans Museum. In... read more
The building was designed by Sytze Wierda, chief architect of the ZAR's Public Works Department. Its foundation stone... read more
This museum is also known as the Natal Settlers Museum. The property originally extended from the Bay to St Andrew's... read more
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 27 September 1968.
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 6 April 1936.
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 29 February 1980.
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 9 December 1988.
(prior to 1910) In 1828 the Wesleyan Missionary Society established a station at Amadola. A year later it was... read more
The building was designed by Charles Hosking and was completed in 1906 as the first permanent offices for the new... read more
The building was designed in 1897 by HS Greaves, of the Cape Public Works Department, and was erected by J Kohler... read more
This building served as the official residence of the presidents of the former Republic of the Orange Free State, it... read more
The simple brick structure and its adjacent chimney contained the boiler and blower house of a blast furnace and... read more
The building was inaugurated on 22 May 1917 and was the first school to be erected in the new town. It was declared a... read more
This building was originally erected in the 18th century as a set of stables on the well-known Oaklands property.... read more
Also known as the Tweetoring Kerk, The Dutch Reformed congregation of Bloemfontein was established on 13 November 1848... read more
As the town of Cape Town grew in size and sophistication, so then its management committee began to require a meeting... read more

Pages