Places

Leave blank for all. Otherwise, the first selected term will be the default instead of "Any".
FEATURED ARTICLE

Barberton

1
Historical Background Barberton, the Daisy town, was named after Henry Barber in 1884, 24 July by the Gold Commissioner David Walson, after Barber and his cousin Fred discovered gold in the area. The mining of gold in South Africa began in Barberton, where Tom McLachlan found the first traces of alluvial gold in 1874. Since then, gold fields flourished as fortune seekers flocked to the area in search of gold. Today, the town has four gold mines that are more than 100 years and still in.. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Bloemfontein

1
Bloemfontein is the capital of the Free State Province, previously known as the Orange Free State. The city is known as the 'City of Roses', or Manguang, 'the place of cheetahs' and the landscape is predominantly dry grassland. Bloemfontein is currently the judicial capital of South Africa, and the seat of the Supreme Court of Appeal. .. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Cape Town

1
Also known as 'The Mother City', Cape Town is the largest city in the Western Cape Province, and was founded as a resupply stop for the Dutch East India Company. Today, Cape Town is the legislative capital of South Africa, and a popular tourist destination known for its beaches, vineyards and majestic landscapes and limitless ocean. .. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Cato Manor

History of Cato Manor.. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Crossroads Township

Crossroads Township is situated in Cape Town in the Wynberg district, some 12 km east of Athlone in the Western Cape Province... read more
The Raadsaal Building is located on the south-western corner of Church Square and forms an important part of the... read more
The first Raadsaal is probably the most important historical building in the Free State. It is a relatively humble... read more
The village of Rabula was named after the Xhosa "ukurabula", a term given to a child when it becomes irritable.
A double-storey brick building with heavily ornamented Victorian and neo-Classical architectural features. It was... read more
Click on image to enlarge This building was erected in 1900 as part of a general upgrade by the Natal Railways. It... read more
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 2 October 1981.
This impressive building surmounted by a clock tower was built in 1912-13 and was officially opened on 7 June 1913 by... read more
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 30 May 1985.
This is an engaging structure, with a high pitch roof, dormer windows and ornate fretted timber details. It was... read more
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 26 February 1965.
This double-storey structure was designed in a late classical Georgian style, and was erected by MA de Kock between... read more
This is probably the oldest surviving house in Port Elizabeth and was built by Rev Francis McClelland of the Church of... read more
Interior of the Red Location Museum, 2010. © The Red Location Museum The Red Location Museum of the People's... read more
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 13 February 1981.
Rehoboth is a town in central Namibia and lies on a high elevated plateau with several hot springs. Khoikhoi name, of... read more
An agricultural town in the Orange Free State province, Reitz is 51km from Bethlehem. At an altitude of 1622 metres,... read more
On 7 August 1993, Eugene Terreblanche, the leader of the Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging (AWB), had just been given the... read more
The Republic of Congo, also known as Middle Congo, Congo-Brazzaville, and Congo (but not to be confused with the... read more
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 23 June 1989.
The construction of the original structure with its Cape Dutch and Georgian features, dates from approximately 1840. It... read more
This building was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 7 March 1986.
The building was erected in about 1910 by H Moschke to house a number of commercial concerns. It is richly decorated... read more
The village of Rhodes lies on the banks of the Bell River at the foot of the Witteberge. It was laid out on the farm... read more
The cottage formerly used by Cecil John Rhodes, stands on the main road to Simonstown, between Muizenberg and St James... read more
Cecil John Rhodes was prime minister of the Cape from 1890 until 1896. He is among the most prominent figures in South... read more
The village of Richmond was established in 1844 on a portion of the farm Driefontein, owned by P J van der Merwe. It... read more
The Division of Richmond was originally part of the District of Colesberg, and was proclaimed a separate division on... read more
Riebeeck Square developed during the 18th century, when the town began to expand laterally into the Table Valley, and... read more
On 13 April 1840 the Dutch Reformed Church (DRC) acquired a portion of the farm Mooi Meisjes Fontein for the purpose of... read more
The village of Riebeek Kasteel was established in about 1861, and was located at the foot of the mountain of the same... read more

Pages