Places

FEATURED ARTICLE

Barberton

1
Historical Background Barberton, the Daisy town, was named after Henry Barber in 1884, 24 July by the Gold Commissioner David Walson, after Barber and his cousin Fred discovered gold in the area. The mining of gold in South Africa began in Barberton, where Tom McLachlan found the first traces of alluvial gold in 1874. Since then, gold fields flourished as fortune seekers flocked to the area in search of gold. Today, the town has four gold mines that are more than 100 years and still in.. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Bloemfontein

1
Bloemfontein is the capital of the Free State Province, previously known as the Orange Free State. The city is known as the 'City of Roses', or Manguang, 'the place of cheetahs' and the landscape is predominantly dry grassland. Bloemfontein is currently the judicial capital of South Africa, and the seat of the Supreme Court of Appeal. .. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Cape Town

1
Also known as 'The Mother City', Cape Town is the largest city in the Western Cape Province, and was founded as a resupply stop for the Dutch East India Company. Today, Cape Town is the legislative capital of South Africa, and a popular tourist destination known for its beaches, vineyards and majestic landscapes and limitless ocean. .. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Cato Manor

History of Cato Manor.. read more
FEATURED ARTICLE

Crossroads Township

Crossroads Township is situated in Cape Town in the Wynberg district, some 12 km east of Athlone in the Western Cape Province... read more
The building, originally designed in a Cape Dutch idiom, is one of the oldest farm houses surviving along the Liesbeeck... read more
By 1659 growing problems with their Khoikhoi neighbours forced the Dutch administration at the Cape to undertake a... read more
In 1962, the South African Government created Venda as a homeland for the Venda-speaking people. The area set aside for... read more
The double-storey beach house, with prominent gables in a Flemish-revival style, was designed by Herbert Baker and was... read more
It started off with a small jetty, built by Jan van Riebeeck in 1654 as part of his task to establish a refreshment... read more
This double-storey structure was probably built in 1903 and forms an integral part of the architectural character of... read more
This double-storey structure has a number of prominent Victorian features including cast iron ornamentation on the... read more
The structure was erected at the turn of the 20th century and has prominent Victorian architectural features. It was... read more
The house dates from the latter part of the 19th century and has some fine bay windows. It was declared a National... read more
The house was erected at the turn of the 19th century and is one of the earliest structures to have been built in... read more
The construction of this double-storey house dates from the 1880s, probably at the behest of CG Prince. It has a number... read more
The house was originally designed as a single-storey structure and was extended in 1912 when a second storey was added... read more
The double-storey structure was erected soon after the turn of the 20th century, and is endowed with a number of... read more
This house was probably erected in 1895 and has a number of prominent architectural features including an unusual... read more
This is a double-storey manor house designed by architect P Piekes. Erected in 1904-05, it is an excellent example of... read more
This row of double-storey semi-detached residences is presumed to have been erected in 1881 as part of a speculative... read more
The villa was designed in 1897 by architect William Street-Wilson for William Auerswald. He sold the house to the Brown... read more
These 9 dwellings form part of a unique street block that dates from the 1880s, and consisted of two terraced rows of... read more
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 18 February 1977.
1
History The name Volksrust (the nation rests) is attributed to Dorie de Jager, Dirkie Uys' sister. The story goes that... read more
This charming figure which stands in front of the Oranje Girls High School was sculpted by Laurika Postma.
The Voortrekker Monument is located just south of Pretoria in South Africa. This massive granite structure is... read more
The structure was built in honor of those (Voortrekkers) who left the Cape Colony and depicts the story of the Great... read more
1
Vrede, 'the town of peace', lies between the North-Eastern Free State and the Mpumalanga border of Volksrust. It was... read more
This residence, built in a Cape Dutch idiom, was erected on land originally granted in 1785 to Andries Daniel Grove,... read more
The property originally formed part of the farm Vredenhof which had been transferred to Jan Ziman in 1827. It is... read more