This is probably the oldest surviving house in Port Elizabeth and was built by Rev Francis McClelland of the Church of England, who arrived in 1820 with the Irish party under William Parker. McLelland established himself in Port Elizabeth where, in April 1825, the Governor of the Cape granted him land for an Anglican Church. McLelland was an influential figure in early Port Elizabeth, started its first school and delivered addresses at nearly every important public function. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 2 February 1962.
Rectory, 7 Castle Hill, Port Elizabeth