Following South Africa's policies of racial segregation and the promulgation of the Promotion Bantu Self-Government Act,46 of 1959, the South African government granted 'independence' status to Venda, which became the Republic of Venda. Venda was created for the Venda people. The Venda people and the international community rejected the independence of Venda. Despite its claims to independence, Venda, remained politically and economically dependent on South Africa.
The SA government grants ‘Independent’ status to Venda
Thursday, 13 September 1979
This Day In History dates for TODAY
- 1897 Prof. James Smith, who identified the first coelacanth found in South Africa, is born
- 1916 Margaret Mary Smith, SA artist and ichthyologist, is born
- 1936 Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, former wife of President Nelson Mandela, is born
- 1943 Paul Mosaka establishes the African Democratic Party
- 1950 The energy and chemical company, Sasol, is registered
- 1992 Record of Understanding is agreed to by the SA government and the ANC
- 1996 De Kock alleges that SA secret agent shot Olaf Palme
more dates like these...