Potgieter, D.J et al. (eds) (1975) Standard Enclyclopaedia of South Africa. NASOU Limited: Cape Town. Vol. 11, pg. 594-5; Vol. 2, pg. 484.| Wallis, F. (2000) Nuusdagboek: feite en fratse oor 1000 jaar. Kaapstad: Human & Rousseau.
24 July 1839
De Zuid-Afrikaan (The South African) was the first proper Dutch newspaper in South Africa, and was first published on 9 April 1830. The publication was initially published partly in English and partly in Dutch, and started off as a weekly of four pages, until 1841 when it appeared twice a week, and from 1880 when it appeared three times a week. De Zuid-Afrikaan was sympathetic to the Afrikaans language movement, and was a mouthpiece for Afrikaners for who opposed Anglicisation in the British Cape Colony at the time. The site of the offices and printing works was on the corner of Burg and Wale Streets in Cape Town, in a building currently known as Waalburg. The publication was edited by a number of people, including P.A Brand. On 24 July 1839, he was succeeded by his brother, Sir Christoffel (Joseph) Brand, a lawyer and one of the founders of the publication. On 2 September 1871, the newspaper was merged with Die Volksfriend (The People's Friend) and was primarily concerned with political matters, and was representative of the Afrikaner Bond. The newspaper also merged with Ons Land (Our Land) at a later stage, and was known for a brief time as the Advertentieblad (Advertisement newspaper). After Union, the paper became the organ of the South African Party. On 8 April 1932, publication ceased, with J.P.L Volsteedt as the last editor.