The Tana Baru Muslim cemetery is closed

222

Tana Baru Cemtery

Friday, 15 January 1886

The Muslim cemetery Tana Baru (meaning New Ground), where some of the earliest and most respected Muslim settlers of South Africa lie buried, was closed in terms of the Public Health Act No. 4 of 1883. Following the granting of religious freedom to Muslims in 1804, the Batavian government granted the first piece of land for a Muslim cemetery - Tana Baru - to Frans van Bengalen on October 02, 1805. Despite its closure the Tana Baru, situated in the Bo-Kaap (Malay Quarter), has always been regarded as the most hallowed of Muslim cemeteries in Cape Town. Three prominent early Cape Muslim Imams, namely Tuan Nuruman, Tuan Sayeed Alawse and Tuan Guru lie buried on the Tana Baru grounds and shrines have been erected to honour them. 

References:
• SAHO Tana Baru Cemetery Uprising [online] Available at: www.sahistory.org.za [Accessed on 3 December 2013]
• Tana Baru HISTORY OF THE TANA BARU AT A GLANCE [online] Available at: www.tanabaru.co.za [Accessed on 3 January 2013]

Last updated : 15-Nov-2017

This article was produced by South African History Online on 16-Mar-2011

Support South African History Online

Donate and Make African History Matter

South African History Online is a non profit organisation. We depend on public support to build our website into the most comprehensive educational resource and encyclopaedia on African history.

Your support will help us to build and maintain partnerships with educational institutions in order to strengthen teaching, research and free access to our content.



Donate.