Honourary degrees and Awards
- Honorary Doctor of Law from the University of Cambridge in 2001.
- Honorary Doctorate in Humane Letters from Hunter College of the City University of New York in 1984.
- Honorary Doctor of Science degree from Tufts University in May 1991.
- Honorary Doctorate in Medicine from the University of Natal.
- The Medal of Distinction from Barnard College in the United States.
- Fellow of the Bunting Institute and was elected as an honorary member of the Alpha and Iota chapters of Phi Beta Kappa at Radcliffe and Harvard Colleges.
- Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters degree from New York University in May 2007