Allanridge

Home > Place > Allanridge

An example of the locomotives used to transport gold from the mines! Image source

 Allanridge is a gold mining town in the Lejweleputswa District Municipality of the Free State province in South Africa, 34km North of Welkom. It was founded in 1950 and administered by a village management board. Named after Allan Roberts, who was one of the prospectors in the Orange Free State.

 

Refering to the image of the train-coach; this 4-8-2T locomotive, supplied new to Loraine Gold Mine as No 1, was built in 1951 as works no 27090 according to the standard NBL 20" x 24" design. Somewhere during its history it also picked up plates from NBL 27404, which served as No 2 at the mine. By 1991 No 1 was plinthed outside the mine offices.
 
During its working life, it would have hauled reef over a distance of 8km between 3 shaft and 1 shaft at Allanridge, where the offices, workshops, loco shed and reduction plant were located. At 3km there was a 4km branch which lead to an exchange siding with the SAR.

References:
• New Dictionary of South African Names by Peter E Raperhttp //steam-locomotives-south-africa.blogspot.co.za/2011/07/allanridge-entrance-to-loraine-gold.html
Google map: 

Last updated : 09-Jan-2017

This article was produced by South African History Online on 20-Sep-2016

Support South African History Online

Donate and Make African History Matter

South African History Online is a non profit organisation. We depend on public support to build our website into the most comprehensive educational resource and encyclopaedia on African history.

Your support will help us to build and maintain partnerships with educational institutions in order to strengthen teaching, research and free access to our content.



Donate.