Macassar Beach Pavillion

p>Macassarbeach Image source

Water slides are cracked open and filled with sand, and the once-bright paint has faded into pastel hues against the dunes. The Macassar Beach Pavilion in Cape Town has been abandoned to let nature reclaim the water park.
The pavilion is part of the Macassar Dunes Reserve which is comprised of 2,760 acres. Signs in the reserve warn of “dunes on the move,” and they don’t lie, as the sand that has wafted into former concession stands and changing rooms confirms. The Macassar Beach Pavilion was built around 1991, and along with the dunes was named for the Sheikh of Yusuf, a Macassar nobleman who died at the Cape in 1699, whose grave is nearby.
 
Google map: 

Last updated : 27-Jul-2018

This article was produced by South African History Online on 21-May-2018

Support South African History Online

Donate and Make African History Matter

South African History Online is a non profit organisation. We depend on public support to build our website into the most comprehensive educational resource and encyclopaedia on African history.

Your support will help us to build and maintain partnerships with educational institutions in order to strengthen teaching, research and free access to our content.



Donate.