NG Kerk, Three Anchor Bay

NG Kerk,Three Anchor Bay Image source

 
There is a bell that hangs in the tower of the church. In 1881, on ringing the bell for a religious service, it fell through a number of ceilings but remained essentially undamaged. Rather than hanging the bell back in the tower, a horseshoe construction was erected. The bell has an unusual shape in that it is elongated. 
 The bell was made by Robert Henderson from Glasgow in 1857. The decorations on the bell are as follows: In a half circle 
 ROBERT HENDERSON
 8-pointed star with inscription-
 GLASGOW
 1857.
 Finally, there are two moulding wires on the sound bow.
Google map: 

Last updated : 23-Apr-2019

This article was produced by South African History Online on 23-Apr-2019

Support South African History Online

Donate and Make African History Matter

South African History Online is a non profit organisation. We depend on public support to build our website into the most comprehensive educational resource and encyclopaedia on African history.

Your support will help us to build and maintain partnerships with educational institutions in order to strengthen teaching, research and free access to our content.



Donate.