NG Kerk, Uitenhage

NG Kerk in 1917 Image source

The Dutch Reformed congregation of Uitenhage, the 10th oldest Dutch Reformed congregation in South Africa and the second oldest in the Eastern Cape is the distinction of being the first and only church of the Dutch Reformed Church established on 22 June 1950, it was going to be the Mother Church in Uitenhage North, EAST and -The Mist to secede. And already this the total number of daughter churches of the mother church in 1817, as the tenth town in South Africa was founded, brought up to 21.
 
Early in 1804 Graaff-Reinet, which was proclaimed a separate drostdy. It received the surname of Mr. JA Uitenhage de Mist, commissioner-general during the reign of the Batavian Republic. Already in 1809 there were among the incumbents a motion to have its own church and so it was certainly a memorable event for the first time in June 1816 council members for Uitenhage on presentation of the magistrate approved by the governor. Rev.Cornelis Mol who was an Afrikaner from birth. In 1823 Rev. Mol, for some reason and without officially saying goodbye, leaft Uitenhage and in October of the same year, became minister of Swellendam.
His successor was Reverend. Alexander Smith , one of the Scottish ministers at that time according to the policy of Lord Charles Somerset is placed in the border communities. With exemplary faithfulness and declare blessing he has long been lobbying until he retired in 1863 the vast field for 40 years. During his ministry he also completed the church building, which later served as the town's church hall.
 
In 1862 Rev. Abraham Isaac Steytler, became the new minister. He strove for education and was the founder of the Riebeeck college girls and a boys' school for a while is maintained without government assistance. As minister of Cape Town , he served as moderator of the Cape Synod in 1909. Ds. Steytler was succeeded by Rev. Jan Hendrik Hofmeyr, a son of Prof. NJ Hofmeyr of the Seminary at Stellenbosch. In 1887, however, he left the ministry to become a schools inspector, later many years.
 
Ds. Daniel Joshua Pienaar came in 1887, from Aliwal North to Uitenhage . During the Synod of 1915 he was elected moderator. He had also worked for the local education and founded the industrial school that served as a model for similar institutions in the former Cape.
Ds. Antonie Johannes Troskie came in 1926 to Uitenhage, from Ficksburg . During his ministry, the new church was opened on February 2, 1929. In 1932 he died after an operation in Port Elizabeth.
Google map: 

Last updated : 23-Apr-2019

This article was produced by South African History Online on 23-Apr-2019

Support South African History Online

Donate and Make African History Matter

South African History Online is a non profit organisation. We depend on public support to build our website into the most comprehensive educational resource and encyclopaedia on African history.

Your support will help us to build and maintain partnerships with educational institutions in order to strengthen teaching, research and free access to our content.



Donate.