Places

It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 6 April 1936. The monument was designed by Sytze... read more
(prior to 1910) The division of Paarl was originally part of the district of Stellenbosch, and was proclaimed a... read more
(prior to 1910) The settlement of Hooge Kraal was established in 1813 as a station of the London Missionary Society (... read more
1
Fietas (as the place was popularly known) is one of the oldest communities in the Western suburbs of Johannesburg, and... read more
Construction on the Pakhuis Pass began in 1875, and was carried out by convict labour under the direction of ThThe... read more
This is an imposing double-storey structure, erected in about 1785. From 1886 it was used as a military barracks and... read more
Pampierstad (now Thuso a Sotho or Tswana word meaning Help/Assistance) was established in the former homeland of... read more
Parow was a residential suburb of Cape Town, located some 16km from the city centre. It was established by Johann... read more
This is probably the oldest surviving house in Port Elizabeth and was built by Rev Francis McClelland of the Church of... read more

Pages

Support South African History Online

Donate and Make African History Matter

South African History Online is a non profit organisation. We depend on public support to build our website into the most comprehensive educational resource and encyclopaedia on African history.

Your support will help us to build and maintain partnerships with educational institutions in order to strengthen teaching, research and free access to our content.



Donate.