City Hall, Rissik Street, Johannesburg

This ponderous pile was designed in a grandiose Edwardian style heralding the subsequent pomp of the Georgian era. The Duke of Connaught and Strathern, laid the corner stone on 29 November 1910, and the building was officially opened on 7 April 1915, by Governor-General Lord Buxton. It took over an area previously used by the citizens of Johannesburg as their Market Square, and the residual space in front of the building became the stage for numerous gatherings of a civic and political nature. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on12 October 1979.

Google map: 

Last updated : 24-Mar-2017

This article was produced by South African History Online on 14-Jul-2011

Support South African History Online

Donate and Make African History Matter

South African History Online is a non profit organisation. We depend on public support to build our website into the most comprehensive educational resource and encyclopaedia on African history.

Your support will help us to build and maintain partnerships with educational institutions in order to strengthen teaching, research and free access to our content.



Donate.