Hout Bay


Houtbaai (Wood Bay) was named by the Dutch settlers while they explored the bay behind Table Mountain. Its beautiful heavily wooded valley became the main source of timber for the building and repairs of ships and also for buildings such as the Castle of Good Hope. Protective mountains and a good fishing area surround Hout Bay. The fishing village of Hout Bay was probably established in about 1867 when a German immigrant, Jacob Trautmann, began to farm and fish in the area. Its name dates back to 1653, and relates to the quantity of excellent timber which early Dutch settlers found to be growing in its ravines

Google map: 

Last updated : 05-Jan-2018

This article was produced by South African History Online on 16-Mar-2011

Support South African History Online

Donate and Make African History Matter

South African History Online is a non profit organisation. We depend on public support to build our website into the most comprehensive educational resource and encyclopaedia on African history.

Your support will help us to build and maintain partnerships with educational institutions in order to strengthen teaching, research and free access to our content.