Langlaagte Deep Residential Village, Johannesburg

Old Crown Mines,Housing Image source

In 1886 Hans Sauer, who combined a medical practice with prospecting on Cecil Rhodes’s behalf, was guided from Ferreira’s Camp to the main group of gold reefs by a son of the widow Petronella Oosthuizen, the owner of a farm at Langlaagte, on which the main gold reefs had first been discovered!

Following the establishment of 'Langlaagte Deep' in September 1895 the village was developed in 1903-1904 to house employees of the company. It included a mine manager's house, housing for senior officials, single quarters for men, and terraced accommodation for married workers. A recreation hall and club facilities were also provided. The conservation project has retained 35 units of the married quarters, which originally housed miners mainly from Cornwall, who were also active in the union labour movement. In 1909 Langlaagte Deep was taken over by Crown Mines Ltd. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 10 March 1989.


References:
• www.sahistory.org.za/topic/johannesburg-timeline-1800-1991
9/2/228/0096 Head Office, Provincial Heritage site
Google map: 

Last updated : 03-Sep-2018

This article was produced by South African History Online on 14-Jul-2011

Support South African History Online

Donate and Make African History Matter

South African History Online is a non profit organisation. We depend on public support to build our website into the most comprehensive educational resource and encyclopaedia on African history.

Your support will help us to build and maintain partnerships with educational institutions in order to strengthen teaching, research and free access to our content.



Donate.