The SA finance minister, Chris Liebenberg, presented his 1996 - 1997 budget to parliament. It was a cautious package intended to reduce the fiscal deficit and provide tax relief to low and middle-income groups. Liebenberg pronounced his primary aim as to build on the government's reputation for fiscal discipline, while paving the way for more significant budgetary reforms in the 1997-1998 financial year. He further reported perpetual economic growth, registering 3.5 per cent in 1995, the highest since 1988.
Finance Minister Chris Liebenberg presents his budget
Wednesday, 13 March 1996
This Day In History dates for TODAY
- 1924 George Walker, co-discoverer with George Harrison of the gold reef of the Witwatersrand, dies in poverty in Krugersdorp.
- 1961 UN Secretary General is killed in a plane crash
- 1971 World Council of Churches representatives barred from entering South Africa
- 1980 National Party refuses to serve on Buthelezi Commission of Inquiry
- 1986 Bomb meant for Kangaroo Court judge, May Ledwaba kills sleeping William Ledwaba
- 1992 Mass funeral for the victims of Bisho massacre
- 1999 South Africa win the most medals at the 7th All African Games
more dates like these...