FEATURED ARTICLE

Barberton

1

Historical Background

Barberton, the Daisy town, was named after Henry Barber in 1884, 24 July by the Gold Commissioner David Walson, after Barber and his cousin Fred discovered gold in the area. The mining of gold in South Africa began in Barberton, where Tom McLachlan found the first traces of alluvial gold in 1874. Since then, gold fields flourished as fortune seekers flocked to the area in search of gold. Today, the town has four gold mines that are more than 100 years and still in use. These mines are;

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
  • This spectacular sandstone mountain is a backdrop for the town of Zastron, in the south-eastern Free State province of South Africa. At 2207m (approx... read more
  • Set in the Cambedoo Mountains in the Karoo, Aberdeen is about 50 km south-west of Graaff-Reinet. Aberdeen was founded when the Nederduits-... read more
  • The building was designed by Frank Taylor and was officially opened on 16 October 1909 by the then Prime Minister of the Orange River Colony, Abraham... read more
  • The Heerengracht was Cape Town's main street, running from the foreshore to the foot of Government Avenue. In 1850 its name was changed to Adderley... read more
  • Addo Drift was the first convenient natural crossing of the Sunday's River to be encountered inland from the sea, and was frequently used by visitors... read more
  • The building dates from the mid-18th century and its ownership was transferred to the Admiralty in 1814. Rear-Admiral Jahleel Brenton was the first... read more
  • The building was erected in about 1914 to accommodate the premises of EP Grant, a general merchant. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC... read more
  • Since agriculture forms the backbone of Bloemfontein, it is appropriate to find the Agricultural Statue in front of the Agricultural building in... read more
  • This museum depicts the history of the South African Air Force and houses a collection of old aircraft, missiles, uniforms, aeronautical displays and... read more
  • Declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 4 January 1963.