Sprinter, Oscar Leonard Carl Pistorius (also known as the “Blade Runner”) was born on 22 November 1986 in Sandton, Johannesburg. He was born with fibular hemimelia, which is a congenital absence of the fibular in both legs. His legs were amputated below the knee when he was eleven months.
Oscar Pistorius South African sprint runner is born
Saturday, 22 November 1986
This Day In History dates for TODAY
- 1828 Shaka Zulu is murdered
- 1861 Chief Sekwati dies
- 1900 British establish first ‘refugee’ camps during the South African War
- 1922 Douglas Portway, European-based South African artist, is born in Johannesburg
- 1927 The British colonial government declares the abolishment of slavery in Sierra Leone
- 1968 SACC publishes a report condemning apartheid as a false faith hostile to Christian beliefs
- 1986 Memorial service for the victims of mining disaster
more dates like these...