Dawid Kruiper was born in the Kalahari National Park (now Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park) in 1936. He referred to himself as “Die Ou Ram” (The Old Ram). He was the first son of the legendary San leader, Regopstaan Kruiper.
Kruiper was the traditional leader and healer of the Khomani San, hunter-gatherers living in the Kalahari Desert. He became leader of the //Sa! Makai in 1987. Kruiper was well known for his acting role as a tracker in the 1989 movie, The Gods Must Be Crazy II.
• Silent Killer. (2005) Dawid Kruiper [online]. Available at www.silentkillerfilm.org . Accessed on 25 June 2012
• Gool B. & Friedman R. (2012). Obituary Dawid Kruiper 1936 ”“ 2012 [online]. Available at www.oryxmedia.co.za. accessed on 26 June 2012
• Dawid KruiperÂ´s Leadership, [online]. Available at www.thinkingthreads.com accessed on 26 June 2012 Accessed on 26 June 2012
• Konrad R. (2008) Diploma Thesis “Lions and Jackals from Vienna, October 2008, University of Vienna ”“ p105 online. Available at www.thinkingthreads.com . Accessed on 26 June 2012
• SAPA (2012). Desert state funeral for Khoisan leader from News 24 [online] Available at www.news24.com . Accessed on 27 June 2012
• SAPA. (2012). State funeral for Khomani San leader from the Cape Times [online]. Available at www.iol.co.za . Accessed on 28 June 2012
Dear friends of SAHO
South African History Online (SAHO) needs your support.
SAHO is one of the most visited websites in South Africa with over 6 million unique users a year. Our goal is to fulfill our mandate and continue to build, and make accessible, a new people’s history of South Africa and Africa.
Please help us deliver this by contributing upwards of $1.00 a month for the next 12 months.