The oldest medical school in South Africa, offer a variety of educational, training and academic career options within the context of health care and research - from clinical and public health to health and rehabilitation sciences. The Groote Schuur Medical campus is positioned between Main Road and the highway and is next to the Groote Schuur Hospital which is the academic hospital of UCT’s medical school. It is at this campus that the museum of the first heart transplant can be found. The campus is impressive with its old world charm and begs a visit from every person who finds himself in the City and is visited by many medical students, specialist and residents.
1912: Beginning of the Faculty of Medicine
1951: Joint Staff agreement signed to formalise the faculty.
1967: First successful heart transplant and pioneering research for the CAT scanner.
1983: Groote Schuur Campus declared a national monument.
1984: Major extensions done on the campus.
1996: Groote Schuur Hospital declared a Western Cape Heritage Site.