The town of Boksburg was founded in 1887 as the administrative centre of the East Rand. It is the second oldest town on the Witwatersrand. Boksburg was an important mining town with coal and some gold mining taking place. Coal mining was the most important mining operation. Towards the 20 century, the economy of the town diversified to incorporate manufacturing of railroad equipment, electrical and metal goods, clay products, canned foods, and refined petroleum. In 1903 Boksburg became a municipality, which was later incorporated into the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality after the introduction of non racial local government across South Africa in 2001.