In 1901 Andries Brink sold a portion of his farm Kruispad to George Henry Walton, a Scottish immigrant, who named his purchase Brackenfell in honour of his homeland. In 1903 Walton sold the property to the Brackenfell Estate Granite and Brick Company who developed it as a granite quarry. On 15 March 1904 a railway siding was built at Brackenfell to service the Company's transport needs.
The suburb of Brackenfell has been established in 1913 (the name "Bracken" refers to an indigenous fern). Brackenfell used to be a major road crossing during the earlier days of Cape Town, but today it is a well-known suburb located behind the 'boerewors curtain', which is a local colloquial term meaning an invisible curtain that basically divides the city's English and Afrikaans speaking people. 71% of the population speak Afrikaans, whilst 21% speak English; according to a census taken in 2011!