Mowbray

The village of Mowbray was established in about 1853 on the farm Welgelegen, in an area more commonly known as Drie Koppen. This name was of Dutch origin, and was given to a road intersection where the heads of three slaves had been impaled, following their execution for insurrection in 1724. Its significance was not fully understood by the English who translated it to Three Cups. The name of Mowbray first appeared in 1823, and was probably derived from the new English owners of the Welgelegen estate who originated from Melton Mowbray, in England.

Feature Parent: 

Last updated : 31-May-2012

This article was produced for South African History Online on 14-Jul-2011