Places

Leave blank for all. Otherwise, the first selected term will be the default instead of "Any".
FEATURED ARTICLE

Barberton

1
Historical Background Barberton, the Daisy town, was named after Henry Barber in 1884, 24 July by the Gold Commissioner David Walson, after Barber and his cousin Fred discovered gold in the area. The mining of gold in South Africa began in Barberton, where Tom McLachlan found the first traces of alluvial gold in 1874. Since then, gold fields flourished as fortune seekers flocked to the area in search of gold. Today, the town has four gold mines that are more than 100 years and still in.. read more
This spectacular sandstone mountain is a backdrop for the town of Zastron, in the south-eastern Free State province of South Africa. At 2207m (approx... read more
Set in the Cambedoo Mountains in the Karoo, Aberdeen is about 50 km south-west of Graaff-Reinet. Aberdeen was founded when the Nederduits-... read more
The building was designed by Frank Taylor and was officially opened on 16 October 1909 by the then Prime Minister of the Orange River Colony, Abraham... read more
The Heerengracht was Cape Town's main street, running from the foreshore to the foot of Government Avenue. In 1850 its name was changed to... read more
Addo Drift was the first convenient natural crossing of the Sunday's River to be encountered inland from the sea, and was frequently used by visitors... read more
The building dates from the mid-18th century and its ownership was transferred to the Admiralty in 1814. Rear-Admiral Jahleel Brenton was the first... read more
The building was erected in about 1914 to accommodate the premises of EP Grant, a general merchant. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC... read more
Since agriculture forms the backbone of Bloemfontein, it is appropriate to find the Agricultural Statue in front of the Agricultural building in... read more
This museum depicts the history of the South African Air Force and houses a collection of old aircraft, missiles, uniforms, aeronautical displays and... read more
Declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 4 January 1963.
The structure was erected in 1799-1801 by Alexander Tennant. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 31 August 1979.... read more
The development of Alexandra Township dates back to 1912. It was the only place where black people could buy free-hold land until J.B. Hertzog became... read more
Situated north of the Sahara desert. Algeria shares a common border with Libya, Tunisia, Niger, Mali, and Morocco. Algeria has access to the... read more
The All Saints complex, which includes the original church and the old parsonage, as well as a church hall and a garden of remembrance, dates from... read more
They were declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 26 May 1978.
The Alphen estate was granted to Theunis van Schalkwyk in 1714. Its historic homestead is a square plan double-storey manor house with a well... read more
Major Henry Warden, founder of Bloemfontein, gave the town a spiritual heart when he laid the foundation of the Victorian building in 1850.
It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 23 June 1989.
Click on image to enlarge The Apartheid Museum, which opened in November 2001, offers a multi-media, multi-sensory walk through the history of... read more
These were established in 1845 by Ralph Henry Arderne with the help of his son Henry. Together they developed them into one of the most important... read more
1
Subject: Colonial History Subject: The Squatter Movement Subject: Mine Labour Title: Foreign African labour in South Africa Author:... read more
1
Havenga , B (2002), The Restructuring of local Government with specific reference to the City of Tshwane,  (PhD. Public Administration... read more
The building dates from the late Victorian period and has impressive neo-Classical elements. Its two sections were opened in 1896 and 1901... read more
This unique sanctuary is the residence of more than 170 different species and provides a protective roosting place and breeding ground for thousands... read more
1
Babanango is located about 58 km north-west of Melmoth in the KwaZulu-Natal Province. Initially the town was part of land granted to White farmers,... read more
Bakone Malapa Northern Sotho Open-Air Museum. © www.polokwane.info This museum depicts the traditional and modern-day lifestyle of the Bakone... read more
1
Historical BackgroundBarberton, the Daisy town, was named after Henry Barber in 1884, 24 July by the Gold Commissioner David Walson, after Barber and... read more
This imposing Victorian dwelling was erected in 1888 by EF Bourke, who later became the first mayor of Pretoria. It is one of the last remaining... read more
1
Bathurst, Eastern Cape, is one of the smallest but most interesting municipalities in South Africa. Founded in 1820, this peaceful little village on... read more
The double-storeyed building dates from 1803 and retains a number of fine Georgian and Victorian features. It was declared a National Monument under... read more

Pages