The farm was originally granted to Johan Rauch in 1792, Within two months, had sold it on to Andries Teubes, who probably built its manor in 1795-96 according to a design by Thibault. The gable is generally considered to be one of the earliest usages in the Cape of a rectangular pediment. The cost of building this house must have ruined Teubes, for he declared bankruptcy in 1799, and after a series of owners, the property was purchased by Petrus Eksteen in 1802. In 1883 the farm with its buildings was acquired by the colonial government who, for a time, used it as a reformatory. It underwent extensive restoration in the 1960s, and was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 8 September 1961.