Village some 50km west of Mossel Bay. It was laid out in 1900 on the farm Grootfontein and became a municapality in 1920. The name is derived from the surname of Johannes Rudolph Albertyn, 1847-1920. He was the first Dutch Reformed minister, to serve the community.
Well known for its abundance of aloes growing in the district, it is the country’s foremost source of aloe juice. Used in the health and skin care industry, two factories in Albertinia extract juice and gel from the harvested aloe blades. Much of their produce is used in their beauty products, also produced here.
New Dictionary of South African Place Names by Peter E. Raper