These two impressive verandah houses were erected in about 1903 on the instruction of mining magnate Sir Abe Bailey. After WWII the properties were joined and the houses were fitted out as a hotel. At the time it was known as The Dorchester, but in 1972 its name was changed to the Cottam Grove. The two manor houses, together with its adjoining residence known as Atherton, form one of the most impressive groups of Edwardian villas in the city.

It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 10 February 1989. Cottam Grove is next to Essenwood and is located in eThekwini Metropolitan Municipality, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Cottam Grove has a length of 0.13 kilometres.

-29° 29' 24", 31°

Further Reading