Also known as the Tweetoring Kerk, The Dutch Reformed congregation of Bloemfontein was established on 13 November 1848, and its services were initially held in the Raadsaal, a humble thatched building in St George's Street. On 6 January 1849 Major Henry Warden, the British Resident Administrator, laid the foundation stone for a new church and, at the same time, presented a bell to the congregation. The building was only completed on 29 May 1852. By 1862, it had grown too small for Bloemfontein's needs and the construction of a new hall was proposed. The project was only undertaken in 1874 when architect AW Wocker was commissioned to design a church at a cost of £17,500. The old building was demolished whilst services continued to be held in a warehouse, owned by the firm of GA Fitchardt, immediately across the road. President Brand laid the foundation stone for the new church on 10 May 1878, and on 7 May 1880 the new building was consecrated. The structure was notable for its twin spires, and is commonly known amongst citizens of Bloemfontein as the Tweetoring Kerk. Unfortunately in April 1935 the western spire, including its clock, collapsed. Following fears that the second spire could also fall, both towers were truncated at the height of the church roof and given shorter pointed steeples. Following extensive structural restoration, by the end of 1942 both spires had been restored to their former height. A subsequent fire in 1952, set by an arsonist, fortunately caused little structural damage, and the building was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 15 February 1963.