One of the Northern municipalities adjoining the metropolitan of Cape Town, 11 km from the centre of the city and in the Bellville district. It has its own magistrate's court. Population (1971): White 19 000. The town was established in 1905 and named after a famous racecourse in England as the founders intended to make it a racing centre. A course was actually constructed, but after only one meeting it was abandoned. Goodwood extended rapidly, and in 1938 became a municipality. In 1942 its area was extended Northwards to the national road, and between 1944 and 1946 the townships of Elsies River and Monte Vista were included, as was Edgemead in 1969. The first railway station was built in 1905, and today there are three within the municipal area: Goodwood, Vasco and Elsies River. With the large Coloured population in the adjoining area of Elsies River township, and Langa and Nyanga townships less than 8 km away, Goodwood is ideally situated for industrial development. Over 70 industries have been established, mostly at Elsies River. These include steel construction engineering works, sawmills, and factories producing furniture, clothing, food products and earth-moving equipment. There is also a Jarge motor-assembly plant and printing-works. Goodwood is separated by the railway from the residential area of Epping Gardens, which has a White population of 8 551. The showground, where the Western Province Agricultural Society holds its annual show, is situated at Goodwood, but not within the municipal boundaries.
-33° 53' 27.751", 18° 33' 59.3451"