Hermanus, the World's foremost- land based whale watching destination as well a thriving Holiday Destination. It offers residents and holiday makers all modern amenities, yet retaining its fisherman's Village charm. The Town of Hermanus is situated between Mountain and Sea. It has gained Worldwide recognition- "As the World's foremost Land based, whale watching destination". This has resulted in the quiet former fishing Village showing a tremendous growth over the last few Years. Other contributory factors to the success of this Town are: 'the natural scenic beauty, the mild climate, the range of outdoor activities available, and the close proximity to Cape Town, with Hermanus being a mere 140 km from the Cape Metropole.' This is the ideal base from which to explore the Western Cape and the Cape Overberg. Hermanus has something for everyone!
The Fernkloof Nature Reserve has over 40 km of walks, ranging from moderate to strenuous walks in the beautiful Mountains which form an imposing backdrop to the Town. The 14 km of unique cliff walks recently incorporated into the nature Reserve boast a variety of coastal fynbos and birdlife. The pristine stretches of Beach offer "a solitude to the walker and boating activities abound in the Kleinrivier Lagoon, renowned for its birdlife!" and invigorating horse rides along the beach which appeal to all ages. The Hermanus Golf Course is well known and curious baboons create a diversion as they silently observe the players. The Old Harbour complex in Hermanus offers the visitor an insight into Hermanus' past as a Fisherman's Village and marine life. Hermanus and neighbouring Towns of Onrus and Stanford are the residence of a variety of artists, from watercolours, to writers, potters and crafters. Excellent jewellery is produced and crafts of a high standard can be purchased at the popular Craft Market at Lemm's Corner. The Hermanus Wine Route, the Southernmost in Africa, produces top quality, World renowned wines. Hermanus is firmly established on the Epicurean map with its myriad of restaurants, fine wine, fresh vegetables cheese and fish. Today Hermanus remains; a thriving holiday resort offering residents and holiday makers all modern amenities, yet retaining its fisherman's village charm.
This gorgeous seaside Town has a proud History dating back to the early 1800's when a Hermanus Pieters followed a path etched into the ground by a herd of elephants. Hermanus Pieters was a traveling teacher and sheppard who growing tired of his locality, made the decision to pack up and try somewhere new. He wandered South of Caledon along the elephant trail and ended up next to the Sea where he discovered a fresh Spring. Hermanus Pieters then decided to; set up Camps here because of this Spring and the fine grazing the Land provided for his livestock. This beautiful setting became known as Hermanuspietersfontein (directly translated as Hermanus Pieters Fountain!). Once farmers in neighboring districts begun to hear of his success they too began their journeys to this new and fertile location. Many of the farmers only vacationed in Hermanuspietersfontein during the warmers Summers months. They spent their time fishing whilst their wives and children spent many a happy day along the magnificent beachfronts. Once the winter months set in the farmers would return to their homes, the fishermen however stayed. The fish was plentiful and the men had great successes in the ocean that lapped the shores of this small Town. By 1886 so many families had moved to Hermanuspietersfontein that a church and school were built. In 1902, after an irate postmaster’s complaint due to the Towns’ exceptionally long name, Hermanuspietersfontein became Hermanus. The town was so beautiful and filled with fresh sea air that it was not uncommon for doctors to recommend a trip to the seaside town for their patient’s health!
In the late 1800’s the Harley Street Doctors, of London discovered Hermanus as an excellent place for people with consumption (TB) to recuperate. By the 1920’s there were approximately; 15 Boarding Houses were established in Hermanus. This was mainly to cater for these early (medical) Tourists.
Hermanus grew in reputation and these Boarding Houses, slowly changed into Hotels. Before the 2nd World War there was a well established International Tourist Trade in Hermanus . The Hotels used to send busses to Cape Town to fetch their guests off the Mail Ships, in Cape Town's Harbour. After the war many of these people settled here, buying and building homes for themselves. The social scene in Hermanus during the 50’s and 60’s was amazing, with Hotels providing entertainment and music. (During the late 50’s there were 15 or 16 Hotels and the Town was thriving. It was the place to go for people in the Western Cape!)
The residents of Hermanus fought strongly for their home to remain a sleepy, quaint seaside Village rather than succumb to the modernization that was creeping up all around them. One of the most significant contributors to this “village feeling” was William Hoy, who was a frequent visitor to Hermanus. Hoy was the general manager of the railways and he ensured that the natural beauty of Hermanus would not be marred by the extension of the railway line into the Village. (Hundreds of Years later Hermanus is the only place with a Railway Station in the Country with no trains.) Hermanus is Historically rich with many tales and interesting facts about the people who were responsible for making the Town what it is today: from the anti-railway activist- William Hoy, to the last indigenous beachcomber who lived in a Cape Town. (These people are amongst many others who contributed to both the development and the relaxed feel of Hermanus today. Like many other great South African Settlers.
William Hoy was borne in Scotland. At the age of 12 he left school and set off to Edinburgh where he found work as a junior clerk on the north British railway, earning 12 shillings per week. Hoy, who had beautiful copperplate handwriting, started learning pitman’s shorthand and soon was earning extra pocket money teaching shorthand at night school. In 1890, a recruiting officer of the Cape Government Railways, arrived in Edinburgh. Hoy successfully applied and soon after, arrived in Cape Town. After only two years in the Country, he became chief clerk to the traffic manager in Kroonstad and within a Year, He was the Transvaal agent for the Railways. During the Anglo- Boer war, Hoy was in charge of Military Railways, coordinating the movement of troops, supplies, horses, and various other tasks. Hoy then married Gertrude Price in 1901. They only had one daughter, Maudie. His father- in- law, Sir Thomas Price, General Manager, appointed him as chief traffic manager, a post he had earned by hard work. Another milestone came when he bought the first typewriter in the Country and personally typed the first letter which possibly made him the first and only railway manager to have risen from ranks of shorthand typist. In 1910 he became the youngest Railway General Manager ever and had control of the second largest Government- owned Railway in the World. It was during this time that the Hoy's wanted to get away from Cape Town and they discovered Hermanus, where he could enjoy his favourite hobby- fishing! He became the most enthusiastic patron of the Village. He became enchanted by its natural charm. Local businessmen and residents alike were hopeful that the general manager of the Railway would soon help them by building a Branch Line from Botrivier to Hermanus. Their hopes, however, came to nothing, as Hoy wanted Hermanus to remain unspoilt and not be run over by masses that could turn up once there was a Railway Line. When deputation pressed him for the line to Hermanus , he took them to Sir Lowry’s Pass Station on a New Years Day and when the train arrived, hundreds of people , laden with picnic baskets, blankets and radios poured from the train , laughing and talking excitedly. Hoy introduced the first road service of South African railways from the railway station at Botrivier to Hermanus in 1912. Lorries to carry freight [particularly fish] and a bus to carry passengers were introduced. William Hoy was Knighted in 1916. He died in 1930 at the early age of 62. His fishermen friends carried his coffin up a newly made pathway for the burial on the Koppie. This is a mountain just behind the station building which was very close to his heart. From that day on it was named Hoy’s Koppie.