The road to Napier takes you through never ending fields of wheat and barley, where the endangered Blue Crane can often be seen gathered together in large flocks. Napier is situated under the Soetmuisberg, surrounded by rolling wheat and barley fields, at the Southern-most region of Africa. Napier is known as a village with the old world charm. Century old cottages blend with modern houses resulting in a delightful rural atmosphere. Napier was established in 1838, when Michiel van Breda and his neighbour, Pieter Voltelyn van der Byl could not agree where the church of the community should be. Resulting in two separate churches, and two separate towns, Bredasdorp and Napier were established.
Napier was named after the then Governor of the Cape, Sir George Napier. At the turn of the century miners searched for gold on the farm Hansiesrivier. The Napier Gold Mining Company was established, shares were issued but it had a very short existence. At present the town has a population of 2 554 and possesses a substantial Dutch Reformed Church and a street lined with stores and places of business. Considerable quantities of strawberries are grown in the district in the early summer. Napier's Dutch Reformed Church has rather unusual architecture and a teak interior. One of the first buildings in Napier, the Feeshuis, was restored in 1988 to celebrate the town's 150th anniversary. The Feeshuis was first used as slave quarters and then as a wine cellar.
Other interesting historical structures are the Kakebeenwa monument commemorating the Ossewa Trek and the watermill and sundial at the municipal offices. Annual events include a "Patatfees" (Sweet Potato Festival) which is held every June and "The toughest race, with the warmest heart" - The Caltex Voet Van Afrika Marathon (commonly known as 'The Voet') is held in October.