The cornerstone of the building was laid on 19 December 1907 by Sir Hamilton Gould-Adams, and was officially opened on 16 October 1909. The North and South wings date from 1915 and 1929 respectively. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 7 October 1983.

1904 | Founded as Grey College School with 6 students
1906 | Renamed as Grey University College with 29 students 
1909 | First men’s residence, House Abraham Fisher, completed
1919 | First women’s residence, President Steyn, completed
1945 | Faculties of Law, Education, and Social Sciences established
1950 | Became the University of the Orange Free State
1954 | Faculty of Economic and Administrative Sciences established
1958 | Faculty of Agriculture established
1969 | Faculty of Health Sciences established
1980 | Faculty of Theology established
2001 | Renamed as University of the Free State with 30 000+ students 
2003 | Qwaqwa Campus incorporated
2004 | South Campus incorporated
2017 | 37 851 students enrolled in seven faculties
Geolocation
-29° 6' 21.2424", 26° 10' 50.4426"
References
https://www.ufs.ac.za/about-the-ufs/ufs-in-focus/brief-history
 
Further Reading
https://www.sahistory.org.za/.../grey-college-complex-bloemfontein
https://www.sahistory.org.za/.../houses-brill-and-andrew-murray-together- tuck-shop-grey-college-bloemfontein