Drill Hall, Darling Street, Cape Town

Thomas Upington Image source

The foundation stone of the Drill Hall was laid on 2 October 1884 by Thomas Upington, then Prime Minister of the Cape Colony. The building, designed by James Tennant, of the Royal Engineers, and built by a Mr Kitsch, was inaugurated on 15 December 1885 by Sir John Gordon Sprigg. In 1889 it was extended by architect Anthony De Witt, of the Volunteer Engineers. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 29 May 1987.

Google map: 

Last updated : 06-Jun-2017

This article was produced by South African History Online on 14-Jul-2011

Support South African History Online

Donate and Make African History Matter

South African History Online is a non profit organisation. We depend on public support to build our website into the most comprehensive educational resource and encyclopaedia on African history.

Your support will help us to build and maintain partnerships with educational institutions in order to strengthen teaching, research and free access to our content.



Donate.