Elsie’s River

The village of Elsie's River, also known as Elsie's Kraal River, was probably named in honour of one Elsje van Suurwaarde, a widow who outlived two husbands and farmed in the area in 1698. The railway line from Cape Town reached Elsie's River Halt on 13 February 1862. In 1980 the Suburb became a scene of total bloodshed and violence, when a school boycott became violent and police shot dead two 15-year-olds! This suburb was restricted to Coloured people! Today Elsie,s River has many public amenities such as libraries, supermarkets, eight schools and a Civic Centre! The Municipality is The City Of Cape Town.

Google map: 

Last updated : 08-Aug-2017

This article was produced by South African History Online on 14-Jul-2011

Support South African History Online

Donate and Make African History Matter

South African History Online is a non profit organisation. We depend on public support to build our website into the most comprehensive educational resource and encyclopaedia on African history.

Your support will help us to build and maintain partnerships with educational institutions in order to strengthen teaching, research and free access to our content.



Donate.