Hillside House, 14 Bird Street, Port Elizabeth

The property was originally granted to George Daniel Diesel in 1824. The building was presumably erected after that date and is richly decorated with a number of Victorian architectural elements. In its time it has accommodated a number of well-known Port Elizabeth citizens, including its Harbour Master, the Civil Commissioner and James Somers Kirkwood, after whom the village was named. It was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on 9 December 1988.


References:
•  9/2/073/0039
Google map: 

Last updated : 07-Dec-2017

This article was produced by South African History Online on 14-Jul-2011

Support South African History Online

Donate and Make African History Matter

South African History Online is a non profit organisation. We depend on public support to build our website into the most comprehensive educational resource and encyclopaedia on African history.

Your support will help us to build and maintain partnerships with educational institutions in order to strengthen teaching, research and free access to our content.



Donate.