Former UMkhonto we Sizwe commander, Chris Hani, was elected as secretary-general of the South African Communist Party (SACP) at its first legal congress in four decades after its unbanning in February 1990. He took over from Joe Slovo, who resigned as result of ill health. Hani served in this position until he was assassinated in 1993 by two right-wingers, Clive Derby-Lewis and Janusz Walus.
Chris Hani is elected SACP Secretary
Sunday, 8 December 1991
This Day In History dates for TODAY
- 1897 Prof. James Smith, who identified the first coelacanth found in South Africa, is born
- 1916 Margaret Mary Smith, SA artist and ichthyologist, is born
- 1936 Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, former wife of President Nelson Mandela, is born
- 1943 Paul Mosaka establishes the African Democratic Party
- 1950 The energy and chemical company, Sasol, is registered
- 1992 Record of Understanding is agreed to by the SA government and the ANC
- 1996 De Kock alleges that SA secret agent shot Olaf Palme
more dates like these...